Thursday, March 27, 2008

Antique Egg

I wanted to share the story of this Easter egg. I made this egg for my grandma and grandpa when I was in elementary school. I am not sure exactly when, but it was a LONG time ago. My grandpa died a couple years ago and my grandma died this past December. We have pretty much finished cleaning out the entire house and what did we find but a box that said "Aranne's Egg". We opened it up and this was what was inside it. That is the kind of lady that my grandma was. She kept everything. She was not a pack-rat, but she kept everything that her grandkids made for her that is a definite. All of the eggs that are in there are eggs that the grandkids had made over the years and she had kept them and stored them in there as well. It was really neat to be able to get it out and display it at my house this Easter. I now have something that I made when I was tiny but I also have a great memory of my grandma too.

The egg is made by paper-mache style but instead of wrapping the balloon with newspaper, you use string and let it dry and then pop then balloon. It is a really easy and fun project to do with little kids.

3 comments:

kristen said...

I remember making these when I was in elementary..how nostalgic! I love that your grandmother kept it, so sweet!

KJ said...

my mom helped us make these one year...I loved it! Especially because my mom wasn't a super-crafty mom. Projects like this were unique.

kelly said...

i love that egg... i think it's pretty cool looking. what a fun project.